Texas State Park: Pedernales Falls

I got engaged this past year and today, with the company of my family, we took our engagement photos. We had to travel a bit for what I had in mind, but it was worth it.

The fields beside the road on the way to Pedernales Falls were filled with blue bonnets. From inside the moving car it seemed as they were moving back and forth just like sea waves. They were almost foretelling the hidden treasure of the falls.

We reached the sign that announced our destination and as true tourists, we took photos next to it.


We traveled about a mile and a half before reaching the booth where we had to pay a small fee to enter the state park. Once given permission to proceed we came to a parking lot and began to unload our cameras. Shortly thereafter we commenced our hike downhill. We saw several people of all ages, coming and going in the naturally paved trail. I saw an elderly lady sitting on a log bench. I smiled at the lady and asked if she was alright to which she replied she was fine. She smiled and asked if we had been there before. We told her it was our first time and she said it was beautiful and wished us luck.

We reached the end of the trail and an amazing view was before us. Without a care in the world I leaped onto the limestone. I took about four leaps before one of my flats fell off. Yes, I know, who wears flats to go hiking? The answer is me.


The flat had fallen through a crevice that my arm proved to be too small to reach. I didn't want to spend all of my time trying to recover the flat so I did what I thought best; I took the other one off. I placed it next to me and looked back at my future husband and took off.

I was leaping and hopping just like a grasshopper as my mother later recalled it. The limestone was cool to the touch, which was awesome to find out since the day was hot under the Texas sun. I noticed the scent of wet rock and followed it. The scent led me to the edge of a rock. I peaked down and saw there was somewhat of a drop. I further examined the area with my eyes and saw that behind a rock there was puddle of water. I quickly began the climb down. I heard my name being called out and yelled that I might have found water. I reached the bottom of the rock and went to where I had seen the puddle. My eyes had never seen such a splendid view. A few feet up ahead the puddle was a gushing stream!

I decided I would wait for my family and fiance at the bottom of the rock I had climbed down from. When I heard them approach I yelled I had found water. I saw my future husband and he told me they had recovered my flats. I later saw my mother carrying them, but I refused to put them on. I led them to the stream of water and they began to take pictures.

We later climbed more rocks and found several streams but we reached a high point and, well, see for yourself.


After spending some time taking in the precious view we decided we needed to start our journey back home. My uncle thought it would be better to take the road less traveled. We bid farewell to the wonders of Mother Nature and began our hike up a tall hill. This time I had to put on my flats, as there were rocks that were hot due to the sun. Also, the hill became grassy and had thorns. My uncle pointed out a poison ivy plant and told us to be careful. We finished the hike uphill in what seemed to be thirty minutes. We saw the paved trail and started walking towards it. My father initiated a race between my fiance, uncle, and older brother. My mother and I walked and enjoyed the scenery.


Our experience at Pedernales Falls was without a doubt one of a kind. Our engagement photos came out looking amazing! Something I wanted in the pictures was, nature. I think I got the best of it.


With love,
Cookie

Comments

Popular Posts